Halloween is just around the corner and if you plan on dressing your animals up you might want to consider the following tips.
Royal Pet Care a pet sitting company serving the Treasure Valley, Idaho shares Tips and great information from our friends at Pet Plan.
Halloween Pet Safety Tips
1.) Start having your pet wear the outfit now so they are used to it for the Parade/Event
2.) Make Sure Your Pet is Comfortable and the outfit does not restrict movement or block vision
3.) Don’t Put Anything around your Pets neck that could cause Choking
4.) If you are going to be out at night with your pet think about putting on reflective tape so they can be seen
5.) It might be a good idea to keep your pets in a secure room while trick or treating is going on so they don’t run out the door.
6. ) If you have a black cat please keep them inside!
7.)Don’t leave Halloween Candy out where your pets can reach it. Chocolate is toxic to pets
8.) Make sure your pet has a collar with proper ID just in case they do run off. It might be a good idea to visit your veterinarian for a microchip.
Great information from our friends at PetPlan:
The most vicious villain pets face in this spooky season is a familiar foe: chocolate. In fact, Petplan reports that in 2013, pets were 140% more likely to battle chocolate-related poisoning over the week around Halloween than at other times of the year. And when you consider that Petplan’s reimbursements for chocolate toxicity treatment during that same week averaged $627, it’s enough to turn any pet parent pale with fright.
Why is chocolate so dangerous to dogs? Chocolate contains toxins like methylxanthines and caffeine that can cause gastrointestinal upset and an elevated heart rate, sometimes to dangerous levels. The darker the chocolate, the more concentrated these toxins are, and the more deadly. If you notice your pet experiencing vomiting, increased thirst, diarrhea, weakness or hyper-excitability, call your vet. Petplan’s Vets for Pets blog has the full dirt on chocolate toxicity – including which pets are at higher risk and how to handle an emergency.
Chocolate isn’t the only monstrous menace your pet could encounter this Howl-o-ween. Sink your fangs into these other seasonal spooks that could haunt furry friends:
If your pet will tolerate a costume — and many dogs don them with wags! — take a moment before suiting up to make sure it’s free of frills that could be chewed off and swallowed. Be on alert for fringe and feathers, loose buttons and leaky stuffing.
You might have remembered to store the candy stash safely in a cupboard, but don’t forget to tell the family to be just as diligent about disposing of their wrappers. These sweet-smelling temptations may be just as good as the whole candy bar to your pet, but they can become lodged in your pet’s intestines if eaten, causing an obstruction that could require surgery. A lidded bin should keep trash out of paw’s reach.
raisin’ a fuss
For two-legged trick-or-treaters, raisins may make a healthier alternative to sugary sweets — but for pets, they are equally as toxic. Even in small doses, raisin consumption can cause kidney failure in four-legged family members, so treat these treats as if they were candy — by keeping them well away from pets.
now you see it… now you don’t
The terrifying truth is, for some four-legged friends, just about anything can become a foreign body ingestion. (Take a look at Dusty’s alarming example below!) If the family is busy bobbing for apples and entertaining ethereal guests, consider putting pets in a separate room with a bed, food, water and toys, where edible enemies to their health can be minimized.
terrifying tail: fright night
On Halloween in 2010, Dusty gave his pet parents a real scare when he swallowed a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser® cleaning sponge — no chewing, just swallowed it whole! After six hours in the emergency clinic and three sets of X-rays, the eraser was just sitting in the bottom of his stomach. Several of the vets at the clinic and poison control concurred that the only option was to do emergency surgery to remove the sponge. Dusty spent three days in intensive care before his vet cleared him to go home. Dusty’s Fright Night trick had his pet parents sick with fear, but he made a full recover — and the following Halloween was thankfully trick-free and full of treats!
– See more at: http://www.gopetplan.com/pet-poison-guide/seasonal/halloween.aspx#sthash.5zM73nuI.dpuf